More About Limits to Growth
Growth Bias Busted is all about examining the unexamined assumptions that pervade reporting on economic growth, population growth, urban growth and consumption:
- Growth leads to prosperity.
- The absence of growth is failure.
- We can grow our economies, our population, our cities and our consumption forever.
- Technological advances will overcome any temporary limits we encounter.
- If there is an end to growth, it is so far out in the future we need not consider it now.
There is mounting evidence that there are real limits to growth, and a growing number of scientists, economists, and organizations questioning the old assumptions about growth, embracing the end of growth and exploring new models for good lives and healthy economies. Here are a few places to explore:
Reading on Economic Growth:
Economics in a Full World, by Herman Daly
Scientific American, September 2005
Reading on Population Growth:
Frequently Asked Questions at World Population Balance
WEBSITES AND ORGANIZATIONS